While appointments are encouraged, vendors and visitors will be permitted at HQ or any EDEN site. Please call our main line 216-961-9690 for scheduling. | Questions? Email edeninfoEDENcle.org and we will respond.

EDEN, Inc.


Para español, haga clic aquí

EDEN has received funding for certain populations to make it easier to obtain housing and keep it. These programs have strict eligibility and application requirements, so please make sure you qualify before you begin the process. The application for assistance is available ONLY to agencies involved with Cuyahoga County's Continuum of Care (CoC).

If you do not have a relationship with any of these agencies, we encourage you to call 2-1-1 (Cuyahoga County's 24-hour information and referral service). A 2-1-1 Navigator can help you find programs and services based on your specific situation and need. DO NOT randomly call the agencies simply to apply for this assistance.

Federal Income LimitsThis chart can be useful when determining if your household income meets the eligibility requirements. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sets income limits that determine eligibility for assisted housing programs based on Area Median Income (AMI). The median income for this area is $94,000. Low income (does not exceed 80% of the median) for 1 person is $50,650. Very low income (does not exceed 50% of the median) for 1 person is $31,650. Extremely low income (does not exceed 30% of the median) for 1 person is $19,000. As households add members, the income limits increase. For example, a household of 8 members with a total income of $50,560 is considered extremely low income. Click here for the full chart.

Please note that it takes 45-60 days to review and process requests. If all required information and documents are not included, this will extend that period or result in an immediate denial. We will email you if information is missing, and we ask that you be proactive and prompt forward that information immediately. Due to the number of processing days, we recommend that you utilize other assistance programs if this request is time-sensitive.


Please Note: All assistance is based on eligibility requirements and availability of funds. EDEN reserves the right to determine eligibility of the recipient, the amount approved, and the fund used for assistance.



Eligibility Requirements:

  • The household pays rent for a residential dwelling; and
  • A member of the household has an existing relationship with a CoC agency; and
  • One or more individuals within the household has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the COVID pandemic; and
  • At least one household member can demonstrate a risk of homelessness or housing instability, as evidenced by past due rent or utility shut off notice, eviction notice, unsafe living conditions, etc.; and
  • Household income is at or below 80% of the AMI (low income); and
  • The household has not received more than 17 months of previous COVID-related emergency assistance since March 2020; and
  • Only one member of the household is applying for COVID-related assistance.

Assistance Available:

  • Security deposit
  • First month's rent
  • Rent past-due payments (tenant must remain in unit)
  • Utility past-due payments
  • Hotel stays if participant needs to quickly relocate or find alternate housing for a short time period (no more than 7 days will be funded)
  • Reasonable late fees (maximum of $25 or 5% of rent per month)
  • Other expenses such as relocation

Application Process:

  • Application is available through a CoC agency.
  • Required documentation must be submitted within 5 days of application.
  • Documentation needed for all applications:
    • Copy of ID of every adult in the household
    • Copy of SSN card or birth certificate for every member of the household
    • ERA Self-Attestation Form
    • Current lease
    • Signed release forms
    • W9 of each check payee (e.g., housing provider)
    • Proof of income and/​or benefits for the last 60 days for everyone in the household
    • For every member of the household with zero income: signed Self Attestation of Zero Income
    • Other useful documentation
  • Documentation needed for specific requests:
    • If landlord is involved: Rent ledger detailing tenant's full payment history and Landlord Assistance Request Form
    • If utility payments are requested: Documentation of utility arrearages
    • If hotel stays are involved: Signed Hotel Stay Agreement and Verification of need for hotel stay (emergency such as gas leak, fire, lead paint exposure; written housing plan with case manager concerning new unit in process; failed inspection; or emergency repair in process of being repaired; etc.)


Frequently Asked Questions for ERA Assistance

How long does it take to process the application?

Applicants must ensure that all the required documents are given to their contact at the CoC agency. Once all documents are received, staff will either approve or deny an application.  Final approval will be made by the finance department. Once approved, a check will be forwarded in 2-3 weeks.

How long do I have to submit missing required documents?

You have 5 working days to provide the needed documents.

Can I receive help with my utility bills?

Yes, we assist with utility bills.  You must provide copies of each past-due utility bill that you are requesting assistance for.

If I received ERA assistance before, am I eligible to apply again?

Yes, you can apply again. You may only receive 18-months total assistance. After that, you will no longer be eligible.

What income information is required?

We require proof of Income and/or benefits for the last 60 days for everyone residing in the household.

If I was laid off but returned to work, am I eligible for assistance?

Yes.  If you were unemployed during the pandemic, we can assist with the past due amounts to help get you back to normalcy.

If I was diagnosed with COVID and my employer continued to pay me, am I eligible?

You must have proof of bills or receipts or loss of income.  You still need to show loss if you were out sick and did not get paid and/or additional expenses due to sickness.

What documents are needed to show that I have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic?

We require a self-attestation and any available documents that support how you have been impacted, directly or indirectly, by COVID.  This can include verification of a positive COVID-19 test, layoff or termination notice, documentation regarding the household member’s qualification for unemployment benefits, day care closing due to COVID, at least one pay stub before COVID-19 and one current showing reduced hours, two bank statements with your transaction history that shows your income deposits before COVID-19 and one showing reduced income deposits. 30-day notices, eviction notice, utility shut-off notice, etc.

How can an applicant demonstrate that an individual within a household is at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability?

This can include a past due utility bill, rent past-due notice, eviction notice, pictures of unsafe or unhealthy living conditions, or other evidence of risk.

Can I receive help with utilities and rent back pay?

Yes, if these costs ares related directly or indirectly to the COVID pandemic.

What utilities can be included?

Utilities include electricity, gas, water and sewer, trash removal, and energy cost such as fuel oil.

Are landlords prohibited from evicting me when receiving ERA funding?

Treasury guidance prohibits the eviction of renters for nonpayment while ERA payments are being made on their behalf. We require that the landlord not evict for 90 days longer than the period covered by the ERA as a condition of receiving payment.

Do you provide ERA assistance to homeowners to cover mortgage?

No. ERA assistance is available only to households that pay rent for a residential dwelling.

Can I apply at multi organizations for ERA assistance, such as CHN, Step-Forward, or Benjamin Rose/ESOP?

No. This is considered fraud.  You may not duplicate services.

What if I have other questions?

Call or email your point of contact at a CoC agency.

If you do not have already have a relationship with an agency that can help with housing assistance, we encourage you to call 2-1-1 (Cuyahoga County's 24-hour information and referral service). A 2-1-1 Navigator can help you find programs and services based on your specific situation and need.


Homeless Prevention & Diversion

Eligibility Requirements:

Assistance Available:

The following assistance may be eligible for HPD, but submissions can only be accepted if the person/situation is  not eligible for ERA. Try to apply for ERA FIRST!!

Application Process:

CoC Agencies

If you have a relationship with any of these agencies, please work with your point of contact there to submit an application.


EDEN's mission is to provide housing solutions to people facing the challenges of housing insecurities and homelessness.

7812 Madison Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44102
Phone: 216-961-9690
Client Info Line: 216-634-0202
Property Owner Hotline: 216-503-6369
TDD/TTY: 800-545-1833, ext. 873
Fax: 216-651-4066

© 2021-2024. All rights reserved. Emerald Development and Economic Network, Inc. (EDEN).




EDEN is committed to being an active champion of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) throughout our organization and the communities we serve.